Friday, 21 October 2011

Lost for Words

Today has reminded me of the power of words - spoken, written and read.  The saying goes that the pen is mightier than the sword, and whilst it's not something I'm willing to test in a duel, words certainly can cut deep.

The Internet is a wonderful thing... but at the same time it's a dangerous playground.  When you release words, thoughts, emotions onto the net it's done when staring at a blank screen and not thinking to hard who is reading. 

If you could look through your computer, through the net, through the back of the computer into the eyes of the person reading at the other end... would you continue?  Would you say to someones face what you type? Someone you don't really know?  Someone you've never met in person? 

The Internet gives anyone who uses it power..... thinking before typing, before hitting send, before posting, it doesn't take a a second, yet it's so easily over looked.

Tact and I weren't really on speaking terms when I was younger and my mother had a phrase she used to repeat to me quite frequently - Engage brain before opening mouth.  I know from bitter experience that you can't take back what you've said online - and I'm sorry to say I've been on both sides - I learnt from my experiences I can only hope that after what I've witnessed today others can learn from theirs.


I think an evening off the net is called for, my books arrived from Dreamspinner today (and I've just discovered that they are all autographed) so I am going to lose myself in other peoples words that can't hurt anyone for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment