It will be November in just over a week (which reminds me, must buy my sister's birthday present) and the start of NaNo - 50,000 words of "novel" in a month... I signed up for this why?
Okay, so anyway, today I have been planning. Whilst I have 2 stories on the go at present (part 2 of Guardians of Hope - YA fantasy(ish) and In Between - againYA, but contemporaryish) these have parts written so I can't use them.
I sifted through the voices in my head, asking if anyone had any strong desire to be heard during November (yep, that's as far as planning on a story gets - I write what I'm told... it works for me). Anyway they came through with three potentials to chose from.
- A contemporary M/M story for which my inspiration some of the lyrics from song Keep Yourself Warm by Frightened Rabbit.
- A fantasy story involving a rare male Dryad who when reaching his majority and the obligation to bind with another refuses the spellcaster's daughter and is subsequently locked out of his tree and will die if he can't find a mate of his own choosing and get back into it.
- A re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood - involving an all to knowing grandmother, a lonely werewolf, an overbearing tree surgeon and a stroppy twink in a red hoody.
I have a few issues with all three so not sure - the first could prove difficult to write if my characters take me where they are indicating and could cause some triggering issues of domestic violence and eating disorders. The second I am not sure where it's going at all, save for it's going to involve some fun world building. As for the third I'm not sure if i can get to the word count and am struggling over setting (being in the UK I write in settings I'm familiar with if I am basing them in the real world - the UK has no wild wolves, big game is not freely roaming the countryside and hunting with dogs is illegal).
So whilst I stew over that I am going to turn my kitchen table round to face the wall and find some inspirational photographs, lyrics, maps etc to pin up on the wall above the lap top.
No comments:
Post a Comment