![]() |
| Dangerously long icicles at the front of the house last year, very useful for keeping small children out the garden |
For the last few days it's been below zero here, night and day, but thankfully dry.... but... we have a weather warning... 10 cm of snow expected between 2 pm tomorrow afternoon and midnight......Right, stop laughing at the whole 10 cm thing, yes I know it's absolutely nothing compared to the snowfall other people get.. but here's the thing... the UK, people and infrastructure cannot do snow, at all, ever, even a light dusting of the stuff. Everything will grind to a halt, schools, businesses, sporting events will be cancelled, the bus service will pack up, trains will break down..yes, that bad.
Now I learnt to drive, thanks to the patience and probably prayers of my father who bravely lent me his car, in the Peak District... which is extremely hilly, has small very windy roads, often one car each way at a time, and doesn't believe in winter weather gritting or clearing.... (things get too bad they just shut the roads). Most of my driving career was then spent in Lancashire where, being on the west side of the country it doesn't really do snow (rains a lot mind)... About 2 cm of settling snow would send everyone into a tail spin and get us all sent home from work early... apart from me who could quite happily hang on till it got to top of my shoes.
Coming back home I remembered very quickly that this side of the Pennines, when it snows it usually means business... last year we had a couple of foot of the white stuff and everything ground to a halt... (I did have a nice snow man in the front garden though) the temperatures of -10 or so didn't help.... If it snows tomorrow I will be prepared! On the way home from work I went a stocked up on essentials... well, cat food, cat litter, filled the dog's freezer... I know my priorities! and am now just waiting to see what happens tomorrow.... we could all be snowed in ... but...
Chances are it will pass us by ... Kammi hopes so, she's little and white, she gets lost in deep snow....


No comments:
Post a Comment