Ah yes, well it had been a while since I'd set anything alight, or blown anything up, or fused various parts of the electrics on the house (ok, there was setting the house alarm off the other week but I swear that was not me.... no I am not sure what it was, but when I'd reset the master switches on the fuse box and switched it off it stopped)
Anyway... today I was a bit special..... in that sort of raised eyebrow way.... At some point last night I was sorting the recycling and because there are only certain types of plastic that they will take at the kerbside I'd put an old ice cream tub that would have to go into the take to the recycling centre pile on top of the eye level grill that hovers over the gas cooker so that I could clean down the work tops....
Fast forward to this evening when I get in from work very tired and hungry as in my usual state of disorganisation I'd forgotten to make myself any lunch (again.... I swear, I am actually sometimes organised, well I give off the impression anyway). Investigations revealed that there was no bread in the bread bin, or in fact much at all in the fridge, but I did manage to locate a couple of pita breads in the bottom of the freezer, which I popped under the grill on a low setting to defrost/warm (you'll remember I have no microwave as after I blew up 3 within a year I didn't bother replacing the last one)
So, having done this, I nipped upstairs to placate the hell cats, who were protesting quite loudly, whilst balanced on the baby gate, that it was way past their dinner time thank you very much... with them fed and watered and me changed out of work clothes into dog walking kit I was about to head downstairs when I noticed a very strange smell......and then the smoke alarm went off ....
Oh grief, have you any idea how much mess an ice cream tub can make when it melts all over the top of your grill, down the vent and onto the grill pan, narrowly missing the actual (lit) grill plates.... and the smell!!!
Suffice to say my job tomorrow is going to involve balancing precariously on a chair/the work top to try and remove the mess of congealed melted plastic so that I can use my cooker again........
I might have had a couple of glasses of vodka this evening in preparation for the task...
No comments:
Post a Comment