Saturday, 4 February 2012

Judgement by reading material....

My Kindle has (well before I managed to at some point today completely kill it stone dead so that even after 3 hours charging, a short reboot, a longer reboot, a moan to the service desk guy called Richard and some general swearing it would only show me the screen saver..... in Richard the service desk guy's words "Ah, I think we'll just put it down as "dead from unknown causes" and send you a replacement....... yep 5 weeks it managed... I wonder if that's some sort of record?)... anyway, sorry I digress....

My Kindle had the ability for me to tweet to say I'd just read a book and to comment briefly on it... now I'd considered doing this, given that I personally have no problems with what I am reading, but then I thought of my twitter followers - including work colleagues, net friends, random dog and cat people, generally random people and the odd spam bot/person trying to sell me strange and exotic items I don't require - and I thought to myself, erm, no perhaps not...

Now is this wrong?  I am not ashamed of what I am reading... but I know that it will cause some raised eyebrows amongst some of my followers, particularly those who came from a website for children's books, some of which are also quite, well, narrow minded. Whilst they might tweet about the latest chick lit/GO or other book (slow cooker recipes it was last week) I just read it and think not for me and move on, I wonder how many would perhaps investigate the books I was reading and it cause a raised eyebrow or worse?.... It shouldn't really matter what someone else is reading, and conversely I shouldn't care about what someone else thought of my reading material, which is making me feel a bit conflicted, possibly even disloyal to the genre I am reading the most of at present.

I firmly believe in the philosophy of "my kink is not your kink, but I have no problems with your kink" which I think can be applied to all aspects of a persons life rather than just on the whole kink referring to BDSM or any other lifestyle.... and probably because I am extremely broad minded and insatiably curious (read as nosey if you wish) about well, almost anything that might pique my interest, I do tend to look into things, research, consider and sometimes experience things that perhaps others would shy away from.

I would also never judge some one for what their "kink" was.... even if it was down to simply reading material.  The problem I have though is a, possibly unfair, thought of... but what if they are judging me... until I work out not whether they are judging me but whether I actually give a toss that if they are I shall just keep my reading material to myself (oh, and blog readers, and Goodreads followers, and anyone who ever visits my book room....)

2 comments:

  1. Dead from unknown causes, may it rest in peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the not revealing ALL you read to SOME people ( you know who! lol)

    ReplyDelete