When I tweeted “help I appear to be lost in
my Kindle” earlier in the week it resulted in a short twitter conversation
which in my mind had us all running around inside our Kindles (yep, lots of my
fellow tweeters appear to have got them for Christmas too) like Alice in
Wonderland running round down the rabbit hole, only in this case Wonderland is
an extremely large library of virtual books (L space and all that!) and we are
all lost in our respective sections trying to find our way back out into the
real world, though alas there were no tea parties with the Mad Hatter, at least I haven't found them yet, I shall keep looking….. ok, so my mind sometimes paints some quite
strange pictures for me
So, anyway, I’ve had my Kindle a week and
discovered so far…
It’s far too easy to buy things without
realising how much you’ve spent – I was very lucky to get vouchers as well as
the Kindle (why yes the entirety of my Christmas list did read, Kindle &
vouchers – I believe in asking for what I really want!) but alas these are now
all gone (in my defence I do have 25 books to read though).
“One-click” is the invention of the evil
minions of hell and I must find a way to either switch it off or find a way to
set a credit limit or I am going to be getting stroppy letters from the bank
telling me to stop trying to spend money I don’t have (ok, I am perhaps over
exaggerating on that). I could try
finding my willpower and just stop buying stuff, but, erm, nope, never managed
that in the past with real books, doubt I’ll be able to find it for downloads
either.
The Kindle is much easier to carry about
than a book – which as I am forced to read for 30 minutes at lunch every day
(yeah such hardship – but I promised my boss that if I only took 30 mins lunch
it would be away from my pc). I did also
discover that reading books that make you splutter your lunch over the desk with laughter (in
this case it was More Fun with Dick and Shane by Gillibran Brown) should
possibly not be read in work unless you want cross examining by your colleagues
as to what is making you laugh so much.
Kindle’s are just the right size for the
cat to sit on and obscure completely when you are trying to read in bed… there
have been several arguments over this the past few nights when my attentions
are directed at the Kindle rather than the cats… I’ve taken to shutting it in
the draw over night or I think Hugo is going to take it away and hide it … (he
always hides things in either the laundry basket or his special place in a box
he’s created a hole in the side of under the bed in the spare room… after I’ve
had visitors it’s always amusing to go see what he’s collected… I just wish
he’d get over his obsession with stealing my visitors underwear – it’s quite
hard to explain why you are returning it later)
So as my New Year’s Eve is going to be
spent at home with the critters (way to many fireworks for me to risk leaving
them alone) I shall probably be in Kindle-land again…….. I am going to try and
get back to doing my books read list on a monthly basis again and may start
with what I’ve read since Christmas tomorrow to kick it off
No comments:
Post a Comment