Thursday, 5 January 2012

Great Expectations...

No I'm not going to talk about Dickens.... and I've never been able to consider the serious portrayal of Miss Haversham since reading Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books... well you wouldn't if you see her in your mind racing the car against Toad of Toad Hall...

As anyone whose read this blog will know, I read anything, seriously, if it's got words on it, put it in front of me and I'll read it (ok, if it's instructions, or say a recipe I might not do what it suggests, but I will read it) ... the thing is whilst I might read some books I might not actually enjoy them... despite what friends who recommend them, or reviews I've read suggest.

As an example, some friends rave about them, but I don't like the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey, which as I do read a lot of fantasy I probably should like them, I've tried reading them but no, doesn't happen for me... though I think this maybe because I just don't do dragons (and get very annoyed with the fact that some fantasy authors only seem to think it is proper fantasy if there is an obligatory dragon in it, even if it serves no real purpose).

As a completest I keep buying books in a series as they come out even if I find the odd book that doesn't quite do it for me (I got very concerned that one of my series, the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, were going this way after reading Unseen Academicals, but thankfully it's just a one off and it got back on track with both the last Tiffany Aching book and then Snuff - though I do wonder with his illness how long he and his assistant Rob can keep going).

Sometimes it's not a weak book in a series, or a bad thought out plot, take the Harry Potter books, I enjoyed reading them I found after the fourth book I was tempted to get out the red pen and go through editing to tighten up the story (don't start me on halitosis suffering sparkly vampires, really, no, just no).

Which leads me after a long winded waffle to the point of the post... on Christmas day, in my excitement at being the proud owner of SmutKindle and some vouchers I bought those books that had been at the top of my wish list to read but which I refused to pay a fortune for the paperbacks for... and a couple of them are still sitting on the kindle unread despite the fact that I have since bought yet more books (hurrah for free books and ones of under £2).... the only reason for this is that I am worried I am going to be disappointed by  them having read rave reviews just about everywhere I have built up in my mind that these books, and one in particular, are going to be wonderful....and I don't want to be disappointed, I probably won't be, but in the back of my mind there is this nagging feeling that I might not get the enjoyment out of the story I am expecting.

I should just bite the bullet and read the damn things!

No comments:

Post a Comment