I have been distracted today. My mind was not at all on my work, instead I flitted around the net on my phone (and on the work computer for sites I
can get to). The reason for this… well
my personality is such that I am one of those people who worries about others,
and they don’t even have to be people I’ve met in real life. So when something unexpected happens I tend to whittle about the people involved.
I hate people getting hurt, either
physically or emotionally, and online where you can’t see the reaction you it seems to make people forget what's decent and you get a level of emotional abuse, probably unthinkingly inflicted, but which goes well over the line I set for cruelty. I say unthinkingly
because, in my heart of hearts, I would hope that it’s unintentional, that they
don’t realise that they are doing it – naïve possibly, hopeful definitely.
I hate seeing people being picked on, disrespected,
not listened to, dismissed… you get the picture. If people choose to share their lives you
with, no matter the medium, you owe them something back…you owe them respect,
you don’t have to say anything to them, you may just read their opinions and
points of view (which of course you don’t have to agree with – but you do have
to respect their position). If you don’t
agree with something why mud sling? Why not just calmly walk away and don’t
read anymore? Why dismiss someone else’s
point of view? Why not agree to disagree?
I am sick of finding myself on forums of
what I believe to be like minded people only to discover in fact there are full
of people with their own agendas and cliques.
As I’ve mentioned before I don’t post much on the sites I use, but I do
read, and I like to enjoy what I read, I don’t want to read about intolerance,
stirring or backstabbing. Flame wars achieve nothing but hurt and anger. I want to use forums where I feel welcome,
and to some extent safe to voice my opinion or thoughts and not to be jumped on
about it.
The amount of personal hatred and anger
displayed on some sites I’ve visited recently saddens me and scares me to think
that in real life people are like this… sure you won’t get along with everyone
you come across in life, but you don’t abuse them…. Just because you can’t
physically see someone doesn’t stop it from being abuse either. Cyber hate crimes and bullying are
unacceptable, full stop.
So, three little words that I am thinking
about a lot (no not I love you, thought those are nice little words to hear
whether it’s from a partner, family or friend)
Tolerance
Acceptance
Understanding
It’s really not rocket science.
No comments:
Post a Comment