I've mentioned before about how the company I work for is very gay friendly... we have our own LGBT listening group and the firm in the Stonewall Index of the top 100 companies.... we are the main sponsor of the Pride event in the city where the firm's headquarters are as well as attending other Pride events in cities where we have offices.
Anyway, part of being a member of the listening group is that on the firm's intranet we have a page with our details on (whether we be LGBT or straight ally) for other staff members to contact if they wish to... and also to get other interested in joining us. The site's co-ordinator decided that we should upgrade our profiles and sent us a set of questions to answer.
Ok, so the usual name, job, how long with the firm, bit of background about us and what we like to do.. then the stinger.... what does diversity mean to you....
And I came unstuck... not because diversity doesn't mean anything to me, but more because it's not something I've actually really thought about in that sort of context.
I was brought up to accept people for who they are, and to be myself. I expect others to be the same, and to treat me with the same acceptance... yes, I want to live, work and play in communities with a diverse selection of people, but should I really have to think about it or should everyone just be themselves.... I am still pondering on what the answer is to this as far as I am concerned... or at least how I want to answer the question
I think I shall have to mull the question over some more before I can frame an answer.... perhaps whilst I go knit the rest of these blasted cat nip mice I promised the shelter for the Christmas fayre...
No comments:
Post a Comment