Tuesday, 19 June 2012

A question of "Angst"

I think I might be missing something when I am reading...... but I just don't get the concept of "Angst".... Now I don't think this is a British stiff upper lip thing, I think it might actually just be me.

I can come with the concept of plot lines where bad things happen to characters and their is much drama and woe, though admittedly I do rely on the author to sort it all out by the time we get to "The End".  Maybe it's me, maybe I don't invest myself enough in the stories. Maybe I just don't get that connection with the characters... maybe my mind is just very slightly out of kilter with everyone else.

I see time and again book recommendations and reviews, even comments about authors that refer to "Angst" but actually, just what the hell is it exactly??

I have googled (as one does) and see that there are in fact numerous definitions, and in fact a whole load of gumph about the fact there is no definition of it....... The nearest I can work out is that it's to do with anxiety, worry and dread... but when reading, is this what I should feel about what might happen next or is this what the characters are portraying??

When I am writing, I am pretty sure I don't write "angst"... I know I can do emotional (or so I've been told....) I know when I've accidentally killed off characters (yes, accidentally, I never start with that intent, it just sort of happens occasionally) I haven't felt that it's been particularly traumatic but my beta readers have said that it is.... again is this me, can I just not connect with the characters, even my own  (okay admittedly half the time I am writing I kind of feel like the character is talking through my hands and my own input is pretty minimal)

Maybe I'm just not an angsty person.... I shall try harder to find the angst to see if I can work out what on earth I am missing out on.

3 comments:

  1. Have you read Keeping Promise Rock by Amy Lane? That's a very angsty book. The characters go through trauma after trauma and your heart hurts for them. With some authors, it feels rather manipulative.

    Does it help to substitute some form of the word "anguish" in for "angst"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not read that one - though I have read several of hers... erm.. might just have bought that one to try though now.

      possibly... dunno... I have bad tendency to want to tell characters to pull themselves together and get over it!

      Delete
    2. That book was so angsty, it made me skittish about angst and Amy...

      Delete