Saturday, 2 June 2012

I don't need coffee... honest....

I've always considered myself lucky in that I am not the sort of person to get addicted to things.... however, it would appear that I am apparently addicted to caffeine.

Now in my past I've tried smoking, but whilst I may have enjoyed an odd cigarette socially it never became a habit and I haven't smoked at all for 20 years.  I drink alcohol, very occasionally, only ever when there is someone to drink with, but really, I am quite happy being the designated driver as really I am not all that fussed.

Okay so I joke about my shower gel addiction..... and yes, in times of stress and depression I do go on binges of buying bottles and bottles of the stuff... people also gift it too me at birthdays and Christmas as they know I like it, but it's actually not an addiction, it's a coping mechanism that is a hell of a lot less destructive and cheaper than some of the things I could buy when my head switches out.

Which brings us back to caffeine.... I drink too much coffee... I know this, I've known it for a while but hey, I've always drunk a lot of coffee and never thought it a problem, because hey, I don't do getting addicted to stuff.

Now, whilst my friend was up this weekend she pointed out, in a quite gentle way, that perhaps my inability to sleep for more than about 5 hours a night was possibly only partially the result of the antics of rent-a-mob, and could possibly also be lain at the door of the caffeine fairy..... fine, says I, I'll cut it out, or at least I'll cut out the, erm, on average 8 cups of coffee I drink a day....

So I did... now whilst I was at home this wasn't hard, I drank squash and admittedly some Pepsi Max with no real problems.  When I went to work on Thursday I e-mailed my caffeine suppliers and said I was switching to water.... all well and good...... though I did get a little tetchy it wasn't the end of the world.

Until about 4 am this morning, when I woke up with the most blinding headache in the universe.... Now I don't do headaches, I've blogged about this before... so after a fairly long moment of panic I realised that actually it might just be the caffeine leaving my system and that perhaps this is in fact a sign I did have a wee problem with caffeine addiction.

So, I am limiting myself to one cup of tea in the morning and one can of Pepsi Max in the afternoon... but still no coffee..... I can do this...... I shall probably dream of extra large hazelnut latte's for a long time to come....


1 comment:

  1. Ouch!! I have two soy mochas each day and never after 2 pm, because it will mess with my sleep then.

    ReplyDelete