Monday, 4 June 2012

Random mumbling about hobbies

The other morning the schedule for our local(ish) agricultural show fell through the letter box.  I opened it and pondered again whether or not to enter any of the dogs... before once again being hit by a general feeling of apathy.

For the last 18 years or so my main hobby has been showing the dogs and all that goes with it (training, grooming, going to seminars and learning stuff.... even for the last 8 years or so judging)... but at present the over riding feeling about going to a show is one of I really can't be bothered.  I'm not competitive and which I have owned 2 champions and bred several others I don't actually care whether I win or lose ... I'd rather both I and the dogs have a good day out.  Now I know the dogs would enjoy it... they do whatever because they are sociable things and hell there's always the chance of a treat..... the thing is I seemed to have stopped enjoying it.... I can't pin point why exactly but I think that a lot of it has to do with my dread of running into the Ex and her new kennel maid, oops sorry, I mean wife.... but even when it's shows she won't be attending, nope, sorry can't work up the enthusiasm... not to mention I can think of more fun things to spend my money on.

I was feeling, I don't know, not upset, but, no, not sure how to explain it, about the whole thing but then kind of started thinking that what with working full time and studying for this flippin' qualification my free time is actually fairly limited and I want to do something I enjoy, after all isn't that the point of a hobby?  (Before I went to university my main hobby was shooting (bows & arrows) which I did with my father who was a club coach... but when the parents got divorced, he moved down south and I went to university so it kind of fizzled out - mainly because I couldn't find a new club and the university weren't happy me having potentially a lethal weapon in the halls of residence).

It's not as though I just sit around watching TV in my spare time ... I still train the dogs and take them out walking with other dog owning friends... though okay I do spend a lot my spare time reading, but I also write and knit (including occasionally taking my knitting out for adventures to the pub) ... the trouble is I can't help but feel these are all very antisocial hobbies.... none of which involve me meeting people in real life.  Is that important?  I have friends and family, both close by and via the net, but is that enough?  It's not enough to make me want to enter a show, or even go along to one for a nosey though...


No comments:

Post a Comment