Wednesday, 27 June 2012

My genres are merging!!

Aside from my now, over a year long, obsession with M/M fiction one of my other main genres is crime... with a particular soft spot for female PI's (Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone and Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski in particular) and other American based police procedural type novels....one of my favourite authors in that genre being Faye Kellerman, whose husband's books I also read... 

So the other day, in a fit of being pissed off with the world and wanting to treat myself I was browsing amazon looking for a book and might have accidentally have bought the whole of Josh Lanyon's Adrien English series.....which I am working my way through (up to book 4 so far)

So, this morning, after the mob got me up and dragged me round the park I was reading for a bit whilst reclining on the sofa wishing it was the weekend and I must have fallen asleep (thank goodness I didn't drop the Kindle) and having been mid read I was suddenly thrown into a rather strange story line in which all the characters merged... 

I've spent today, on and off between working, still reading, but now I keep expecting Milo Sturgis (the openly gay LAPD detective from the Jonathan Kellerman books) to appear, or his surgeon partner Rick to be operating on Adrien... add to that mix that I am sure Rina Decker (wife of LAPD Lieutenant Peter Decker from Fay Kellerman's books) to be browsing in Adrien's shop and annoying her husband by getting mixed up in police investigations she shouldn't....

Now the fact that I can see these characters/storylines merging begs a question or two... are these books all to following fairly generic storylines?  Are the characters all fairly generic off the shelf ones, or are they showing a fairly realistic representation?  Or simply do I read far too many of these books and need to get out more....

I just need to find an M/M crime book based in San Francisco to mix with the crowd from the Sharon McCone books - where there is a gay character in Ted Smalley her office manager (not to forget his partner Neil and his antique book business) ....

Or yes, I need to get a life outside of books....

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Mark Abramson's Beach Reading series is set in San Francisco, but I didn't care enough about the main character to read beyond the first book.

    Victor J Banis's excellent Deadly mysteries are set in SF, too, and them I definitely recommend, altho make sure you have the 2nd book on hand when you finish the 1st, based on how the 1st ends.

    ReplyDelete