Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Who on earth is this person?

*clears throat*
Ok, first post, so, introduction.... Who am I?
This is not me!
Well, society’s definition – I am a middle aged, professional, fat, disabled, lesbian..... there now if you’re still with me and haven’t run away already I’d better add something.... I hate labels, labels put people in boxes, people don’t belong in boxes, people should be free to be whoever they damn well please to be.
So, breaking it down, middle aged, erm, yeah, technically I suppose, trouble is mentally I’m probably still somewhere in my early 20’s on a good day (though some may say I tend to round out mentally at about age 16).
Professional.., I have a full time job, in a law firm, so I guess you could say that, but, as yet, I am not actually qualified to do the job I am doing .... working on that one. Trouble is, I am not sure that what I am doing now is actually what I want to do when I grow up – ah yes, that not really being able to act my age again.
Fat, well, yes, no getting away from that one, over average size, but hey, guess what still human, still have feelings, still have emotions, wants and needs... Sometimes it’s difficult for people to see past the outside, but as I’ve been overly large my whole life I’ve learnt that this is their problem if they can’t see past it.
Disabled, physically yes, I have rheumatoid arthritis and a while ago i injured my back quite badly when someone pulled a chair out from behind me and I fell backwards.  Sure, I can’t run, climb walls, roller skate or such like, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a million things out there I can enjoy.
Lesbian, yep, woman who loves other women, though I am not apparently obviously a lesbian....  Apparently I shouldn’t have long hair, wear skirts, like alternative indie music, read M/M romance/erotica etc, etc... Obviously the people who have told me this feel that I should be more stereotypical.... oh wait, the stereotype was created by straight people!
Because I got into a bit of a funk about these labels I asked some friends to describe me in one word... apparently I am.... caring, intelligent, stubborn, eccentric, creative, warm, bossy and because one of my friends can never stick to just one word... mad as a box of frogs. 
What else....I will read anything put in front of me but my preferences are for crime fiction, M/M romance/erotica, fantasy, science fiction, historical novels and children’s/YA – particularly GO.  The only thing I actively dislike reading (apart from anything work related ) is standard Chick Lit... oh I don’t go a bundle on F/F lit – but mainly cos it appears to be either trying too hard to be intelligent or aimed as stroke fic for straight me.
I also write and listen to a lot of music, I am a bit of a lyrics nerd and a lot of my stories will grow out of one or two lines from a song that lodge in my head and whisper to me.
Ok, enough rambling for now.. thanks for reading if you’ve stuck through to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment