Tuesday, 20 September 2011

To Kindle or not to Kindle, this is the question...

I'm torn, part of me, the part attracted to little shiny electronic gadgets that make life easier and a lot more fun, thinks purchasing a Kindle would probably be a good idea.  Then there is the other part of me, you know, the one that is the reason that I have no working washing machine, blew up 3 microwaves in a year and can't have a toaster in the house just in case I set the place on fire (ah, yes, fire, erm, me and, a subject for another post maybe).

That and I suck at making decisions.... so I decided to try and list some pros and cons...

So, in favour of me having a Kindle
- After the initial purchase the books I down load are cheaper than paperbacks
- There is a huge amount of free stuff I can get on a Kindle
- There are quite a few "books" I'd quite like that are only available as downloads
- My bookshelves will thank me for not putting more books on them
- It's small and lightweight and can come to work with me - and no one can see what I am reading which will negate the whole embarrassed colleague situation when you tell them your reading M/M erotica with your egg mayo butties.

Against having a Kindle
- I have no willpower when it comes to buying book and "ooh, cheap download" said too many times a week is dangerous when I don't have the physical proof of a book in front of me
- The initial outlay would be substantial - might as well get the best or I'll be in the same "Eep!! not enough memory" I had over my first MP3 player
- I like books - yeah, i know, technically a download is a book, but I can't stroke it, or smell the paper (ok, stopping that one in case of strange looks with raised eyebrows)


Devil Dog and Leader of the CDS
(the horns, pitchfork and forked tail don't show
up on photographs)

- What if it falls victim to the Canine Demolition Squad.... I've witnessed their amazing destructive powers over small electronic gadgets.... could I survive if they destroyed my Kindle and I lost all my books.







Argh, i don't know......... Maybe I'll buy some more books whilst I think about it

No comments:

Post a Comment