Hurrah, for it is a long weekend.... and for me longer than most as I decided that I deserved to take Friday afternoon off work too.... mind you, there is something that feels decidedly naughty about skipping out the office at midday whilst everyone around you is still working, it isn't even as though you can walk out in company as lunch in our office is 1 - 2 pm.
Anyway, going back slightly, on Friday morning when I got up to walk the dogs I noticed that my edits had landed for my LNHB story...... cool, I could look at those later I thought...... then I decided to have a sneak peak before work......... and wished I hadn't....... anyway to cut a long story short..... I am an English person, writing in English, a story set in England.... so nope, I'm not changing my spelling, phrasing or colloquialisms .... and the suggestion that a more worldwide audience wouldn't understand certain things, really? So why do so many UK based authors have worldwide sales when they use British English??
I was a little irate when I first read through the suggested changes... but thankfully vented in the right place and got some very good advice about how to deal with it. The first edits were done Friday and I finished them Saturday morning and send the file back........ fingers crossed it will be passed to formatting without needing further tweaking. I don't know when it will be out yet, but I am less anxious about that this year than I was last.
At some point I have to write a blurb type summary thing to put up - yeah, am about as good at making those up as I am at thinking of titles......
The rest of yesterday was very chilled out - with a side order of housework which unfortunately always needs doing. I have also, hopefully, located a gardener. I am arranging for them to come round and quote for a complete hatchet job on the wildflower meadow I've been cultivating and then for a weekly/fortnightly maintenance visit.
Today is a "Family" day.... my mother is matriarch and family elder of one side of our family and we are meeting up for lunch with them for lunch........ which I am sure will be lovely. It's my sister's partner's first meeting with them and, bless him, he's really shy and getting nervous already about it. I have been made to promise not to tease him. Other than that there will be baby worshiping (joy, so not the right time of year for that for me!) and entertaining the 4 year old. I am just hoping that all that is enough to keep my rather ditzy aunt off the subject of when am I going to find someone and settle down - before now I'd had the excuse of my sister also being unattached... There are so many comments I could make about it, but I am already under strict instructions not to wind the relatives up.......
Tomorrow looks like being a good day for putting up the other bookshelf I got from my sister - she finally gave me the bolting together things yesterday.... with luck Hugo won't have completely wrecked the thin plywood bits that i have to nail on the back of the shelves before them, cos the damn cat keeps using them as a scratching post.
Right, time to go pick some tunes to play in the car on the way down........... I wonder what I can force the rest of the family to listen too (well, my car, i'm driving, my tunes!)
No comments:
Post a Comment