Thursday, 16 May 2013

Late night round up post.........

Okay, so I am seriously breaking all the rules of pumpkin time by being (a) still up and not in the least attempting to go to bed - particularly on a "school" night and (b) being on the computer at this time of night.........  but hey, sometimes, you just kind of have to break the rules *grins*

Anyway, the reason for this first........ am way too wired to go to bed right now...... I've been out this evening with one of my work colleagues to the National Theatre Live screening of This House (which is a kind of political drama revolving around the events in parliament from 1974 to 1979). It was hysterically funny but at the same time because you know these events really happened rather poignant at the same time.... the actually story is very well told and there were some fantastic performances.

I got home about half an hour ago and have since sorted the dogs out and am currently making myself drink a mug of hot chocolate in the hope that the buzz I am on at the moment goes down before I crash big time.... I have a sneaking suspicion that I am this wired as I am stupidly over tired past the point of wanting to go to sleep.

Hmmmm....I want a cookie with this hot chocolate, but I appear to have nothing remotely sweet in the house.... oh no hang on.... I am sure there is some chocolate in the fridge..........

Found some..........

So what else has been going on in the mad world that I inhabit...... well today at work was "Appraisal Day".... which the team secretary accidentally told me the date and time for over two weeks ago (I wasn't meant to be told in advance).... anyway, because of this I'd managed, unsurprisingly, to completely wind myself up.  I mean, I've worked for this company for nearly five years now and although I've been through the process every year I am still haunted by the ghosts of appraisals past when I worked for some, well shall we say, firms that weren't so good about looking after their staff.

Appraisals for the first ten years or so of my working life were excuses for my bosses to rip me to shreds about every single thing they could think of, point out your shortcomings, set completely unreasonable targets and crush any hopes of advancement.  I know this firm is different, but still, every single bloody year I get myself into a complete and utter tizz about it......... there might have been a minor melt down last night, only I was going to a friends house for dinner but when I got there she took one look at me and took me out for a meal where I had to hold it together and not think about it.

The appraisal itself took all of 20 minutes, I met every objective last year, made targets - both financial and time, obtained my professional qualification and had positive feed back from my clients.......... okay so yes, I made a mountain out of molehill yet again..... at least it's over for this year!

Other than that, I have picked a story to start on - after a chance comment to my mother about the F/F story resulted in her taking a trip down memory lane to her time when she was evacuated during the war to Lancashire.  She has photographs, and some reference books and even though she was only five at the time some rather strong memories.  I am interviewing my own mother on Saturday........ and then interviewing a couple of her friends who were in the area at the same time and are a little older than she is.  I've quite a bit of proper research to do for the factual background but at least nothing that can get me arrested this time!

I haven't heard back from the editing team yet about my LHNB story......... oh Goddess I hope there isn't too much to correct!

I am trying desperately to do an "about me" post - which involves answering 5 questions - for the UK GLBTQ meeting in July..... but I either sound very boring or completely insane......... not sure which one to go with on that.........

Okay, I really really ought to think about going to bed.... even though they are still up too I am guessing the dogs will still go off just before 5 am and demand attention........ and I have to get through work tomorrow (though big boss and team leader won't be in the office... tra la la....) ... and I can't sleep in Saturday as I have two parcels at the post office which I have to get before 8 am....

I really am waffling aren't I.... okay, time to shut up, try to calm down, and possibly even get some sleep... maybe.... soon.... honest....

No comments:

Post a Comment