More ramblings from my attendance at this year's meet ....
So, this morning off I went again over the moors to Manchester.... I was slightly early for the kick of time so sat and drank tea whilst talking to the other early arrivals.... oh and knitting. I did this on and off during the weekend and it got several comments.... I really much now finish this pair of sparkly purple meet socks!
So, after intros and announcements I had to go do something official.... some time back I was asked whether I could help on a panel for readers only, obtaining feed back and comments about what they liked and didn't like. I thought I was going to be note taking, but instead I facilitated.... which basically just meant keeping order (though Charlie had the Meet Whistle, which she used frequently in that panel!).... the discussion was interesting and lively touching on several subjects but in particular writer and reader behaviour and expectations. There will be a summary posted on the UK meet site in due course.
After that I went to panel on humour in fiction, which had some great examples of what worked and didn't work, with additional comments made from the floor.... then there was panel on HEAs and sequels, which also touched on epilogues and whether anyone actually liked them.
Marie Sexton made today's keynote speech which was about the fact that you shouldn't have to explain or apologise for what you write or read. She then bravely took questions from the floor.
After lunch there was a discussion on what people wanted next year in Bristol, both panel/discussion wise, but also in terms of evening entertainment, facilities etc.
There was lots of time to talk during the day but by about 4.00 pm people were starting to drift off so I decided that it was time to go home.
I am not sure how, but Rupert apparently snuck along in my bag over the weekend and, well it's a good job I know my way home as he whispered most of the way back with some ideas he'd like me to transcribe for him... bloody bunnies... next year he stays home!
And yes, there will be a next year... the dog sitter is already booked so I can stay away... now just have to arm twist some friends who I think would enjoy it to come with me :)
Glad you had a good weekend! :)
ReplyDelete