Saturday, 6 July 2013

Fun in the sun......

Well, it feels like summer today.... it's been warm and sunny, with temperatures reaching about 28C which is pretty good for here.

This morning I got up early and sorted the house and critters out quite early whilst it was fairly cool, then headed off to meet a friend for ice cream and gossip at the local home made ice cream farm shop place...... I was not very good though.... I had a scoop of snickers flavour and an extremely naughty scoop of cappuccino flavour... which had chocolate coffee beans in it .... yummm.... the resultant sugar/caffeine high kept me going for the rest of the day :)

After a quick stop over at home to let the critters out and give them some attention I headed to my sisters house where she and her partner were throwing a party to celebrate his moving in.  I was put in charge of their very large, shiny new bbq.... which after setting fire to the nice purple flowering plant thing behind it was deemed possibly not to have been the best idea in the world....... in my defence had they simply let me built the coals up and light them properly this wouldn't have happened, but they'd bought these stupid bags of coals that you just light the cardboard outer of, and the things seem to have some sort of accelerant in them which made them flame spectacularly.

By the time the first guests arrived I'd got it under control and was happily cooking away - I even got to have one side for veggie stuff and the other side for meat eaters.... I might have got a bit territorial about the bbq when my sister tried to use the implements i was using for the meat on the veggie side....

Anyway, the early attendees were those with children.... including my sister's best friend and her 3 year old twins, E and A, her sister, who also has twins (I and R), although they are nearly 8 and both have learning difficulties and I is  also deaf and partially sighted.  Then there was J the youngest at 21 months.... now the girls, E and R, had decided on proper party dresses, in E's case complete with fairy wings.  J had decided that he wanted to wear a party dress too... and looked splendid in his bright pink sparkly skirt..... the best thing in the world was that no one there turned a hair that he was wearing it (which his mum was saying is quite different to how her husband's family reacts if he's dressed up like his older sister).  It was more of an issue to persuade A that he needed to wear his trousers and pants under the chaps he was wearing, having split the cowboy outfit with I who was wearing the hat and jacket..........

Later on, after the children had gone home, there were further arrivals and a serious amount of proper ale and beer was brought out for sampling......  though beer is something I can't have due to the yeast in it.... not to mention that alcohol and antibiotics aren't a good mix.... I slipped off home after all the food was cooked ... though when I got there I realised I'd cooked but not actually eaten anything myself.... which, erm, means the only thing I've eaten today was that ice cream...... 

aside from all that, I've got sunburn......... my forearms, chest and face are rather impressively deep pink.......... time to go find the aloe vera gel ......

1 comment:

  1. D'oh! I wouldn't have been able to resist all the yummy grilled food.

    ReplyDelete