Sunday, 10 February 2013

I am a valentines grinch........

Despite the fact that at heart I am in incurable romantic who loves nothing more than a happily ever after and wishes that all her friends could find that......... I hate valentines day.....

Today I have been subjected to 4 hours worth of radio programmes which were described as "valentines specials", not to mention being bombarded for adverts on TV this evening for special cards, flowers, gifts...... and then there are the e-mails that have arrived in my in box this weekend with special last minute "valentines offers" on them - which can be anything from chocolates to sex toys....(erm... this is no reflection on the usual e-mails I receive!)

Mother's free loader.... I mean lodger.....calmly told me (in her incredibly superior and knowledgeable voice) this morning as I was having a small rant about gross commercialisation of the day in question...... that it was just because I was single and if I had a boyfriend (at which point mother snorted loudly and muttered that that wasn't going to happen as I was a lesbian) then I would think differently about it and make a special effort for someone I loved ......... erm no....... even on the occasions when I was partnered on valentines day I didn't like it and most times the day passed by un-remarked upon

For me it shouldn't take a special day for you to tell someone you love them, to make it all about one dramatic act or gesture. It shouldn't mean spending a tonne of money on worthless crap that you will either shove in a draw and forget, eat, or in the case of that one off bunch of expensive flowers, chuck out a week later when they die....

So suffice to say.... I have had enough of the cheap pink plastic hearts and flowers for this year!

Surely if you love someone then you show it every day in the things you do and the things you say, from simple acts and gestures, spending time together, offering to help or to simply be there to listen and support and to receive the same in return.

1 comment:

  1. I manage to lead a very media sheltered life, and I'm never more happy about it then before commercialized holidays and elections...

    ReplyDelete