Thursday, 28 February 2013

February's reading material



February is a short month, so the list this time is a little shorter (okay, so not much).... that might also have had something to do with the amount of knitting I've been doing.

Stand out book for me this month, and, shock horror, it's a shifter book.... which given my persnickertiness about the sub genre is rather surprising.  The book is The Tameness of the Wolf by Kendall McKenna.... where everyone knows about wolves, they make up a substantial part of the armed forces (a job in which they excel) and for once the dominant partner is the human.

The other favourite this month is Screwing the System by Josephine Myles.... an author whose work I generally enjoy, but this had the added D/s twist without the uber-rich Dom, the club setting or that everyone in the entire book was in the scene.

Now to the rest of the list...

1. Second Hand – Marie Sexton
2. Dirty Laundry – Heidi Cullinan
3. Acquainted with the Night – Tymber Dalton – this surprised me, it is an M-preg sci-fi story which whilst it does have repetitive sex scenes throughout kicked me in the gut at the ending.

4. Widdershins – Jordan L. Hawk
5. By the Creek – Geoff Laughton – YA (Andrew Grey’s alter ego)
6. A Volatile Rang – Andrew Grey – the whole story was totally ruined by really bad formatting on the Kindle which meant no full stop was followed by a space before the next sentence, words were run into each other and spelling and grammatical errors ran through the text.

7. He Speaks Dead – Adrienne Wilder – (pick it for me book for February) – not my usual thing, but a fairly good read

8. Sub-mission – Sage Marlowe
9. Re- Submission – Sage Marlowe – I quite enjoyed these two fairly light D/s novels which are set in the UK (must pick up the third)

10. The Tameness of the Wolf – Kendall McKenna (see above)
11. Social Skills – Sara Alva
12. Screwing the System – Josephine Myles (see above)
13. Once a Brat – Kim Dare
14. Blood Games – Faye Kellerman (not M/M) – great addition to a long running series of crime fiction books I’ve been reading since about 1992

15. Redemption by Fire – Andrew Grey (r)
16. Strengthened by Fire – Andrew Grey
17. Burnished by Fire – Andrew Grey
18. Rough Edges – Jane Davitt (short free story on Archive of Our Own – was in Toybox: Paddles originally)

19. Winter Wolf: A Werewolf Romance on Snow – S.P. Wayne – erm, major issues with this behaviour of the so called “lone wolf” behaving like a domestic dog rather than a wolf....

20. Dead in LA – Lou Harper – 2 kind of quirky paranormal detective stories which I enjoyed – I hope she continues with the series

21. Out of the Fire – Ariel Tachna (r)
22. Stroke Rate – L.M. Somerton – previously a free read online but now published, not much changed from the free version. Some issues for me about the portrayal of the D/s relationship

23. Once in a Lifetime – Ariel Tachna – nice story with no angst, drama or big misunderstanding told in the format of a diary

24. Hard Fall – James Buchanan (r)
25. Spin Out – James Buchanan (r)

I've also been dipping in and out of some reference books I bought - and looking at maps..... and sometime early next week I get to go visit the police station... okay that's not research, I got pulled over for having a break light out earlier this evening and need to go and prove I've had it fixed....

In the meantime, it's definitely bed time as I appear to be struggling to fight off the office stomach bug that's going round.... only rather than just being stomach crampy and feeling sick, my immune system has gone into overdrive and I have a stonking temperature that means I am either shivering enough to make my teeth ache or roasting...... joy!

1 comment:

  1. I agree about Dead in LA - I want more!

    Here's hoping you fight off that stomach bug and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete