Sunday, 20 January 2013

Winter weekend.......

So, Friday, it snowed... well it snowed Thursday night, but not really enough to make it exciting.  Friday's major snowfall happened else where for the most part... though it did start properly snowing here at about 1pm... by 3.30 pm the roads were getting rather well covered and the powers that be decided to let the staff who lived out in the Peak District or over an hours commute away go home... they also let out those who had to make child care arrangements as some schools were closing early.  Now usually I hate it when people refer to my various critter as my "children"... no seriously, they aren't, they are animals, they are treated like animals, they behave like animals (which is not dissimilar to children I suppose) .... but my boss insists in cases of bad whether they count as children and I had to go home at 3.30 pm - such a hardship!

In total we got about 6 cm or so of settled snow..... and on Saturday I woke up, for the second time having already wondered out into it at 5.30 am, to the sound and smell of the bloke who has recently moved in opposite burning his clutch out whilst spinning around and sliding his car across the ice on the road....... which was the point I decided that Saturday was going to be a staying home, wrapping up warm and pottering about kind of day....... there was some fairly constructive reading, a bit of cleaning and some cooking.  Impressively the supermarket shop delivery arrived on time... though the driver had to leave the van halfway down the road and walk the rest of the way as apparently our road was the worst they'd been on.

Today I was determined I was going out, snow and ice be damned!  I really actually hate being stuck in the house for any length of time as I feel completely stifled by it and need to get out or I start going a little stir crazy.  There was still a fair bit of snow and ice lying on the road but this wasn't going to stop me. I cleared off the car, measured up what room I had between the parked cars, stuck it in reverse and went for it......straight out of the drive, between the parked cars, round the corner and then into gear and off down the road..... got out first time, no skidding, no sliding and no wheel spins...... some of the neighbours were out watching and boy did I feel smug...... I got the car back into the drive later without problems too :)

In a fit of organisation I've made lunch for tomorrow .... in slight disorganisation I lost half of my stir fry to Gretchen when I had to go answer the phone when I was having dinner (it was dad, it couldn't wait).... and I should now be in bed..... but unfortunately I discovered some NCIS fan fiction that I am rather enjoying and I keep forgetting to watch the time.......... 

Work tomorrow........ hopefully...... there is white stuff falling quite heavily from the sky at present though.......

No comments:

Post a Comment