Thursday, 17 January 2013

Four letter words...

Rude ones... or at least impolite ones... I have been uttering them since it started snowing here as I left for work (actually I have been uttering them all day thanks to a colleague leaving without notice and some of her work being dumped on me to sort out this morning).  The weather forecasters have been promising us that the Snowpocalypse is on its way... but that wasn't meant to start till at least half way through tomorrow....... this is the UK folks, the Snowpocalypse will result in about 4 cm of snow and shut the entire country down......

That said, the road I live on is made of brick.... which when you add snow and temperatures of -5 means it's an ice rink so getting out to work tomorrow is going to be, erm, fun.... I may slip about a bit but I shall get there... my neighbours are apparently quite impressed with my determination and driving skills when it's icy

I am told that uttering four letter and other impolite words is not a good habit to have ......... alas there are some things that only good old Anglo-Saxon expletives can really fully express...

The other four letter word that blights my life at present is diet....... I am on one, kind of..... I had already given up caffeine and am trying to eat healthily...... then my Macmillan Nurse suggested I might want to give up yeast products to help prevent my leg flaring up again (apparently because I am going to be prone to bacterial infections it will help)... this "suggestion" translated very clearly to "you will".... so bye bye yeast products...... which means no bread!

Now as I've said before when deciding that I was going to become decaffeinated..... I can't do moderation... it's not that I have no will power... I am sure I do... somewhere....it's just easier and makes more sense to go cold turkey.... which means in terms of healthy eating, that gone from my diet are all yeast breads (thank goodness for pita bread and wraps), any cake type things, anything with pastry, all chocolate, sweets, ice cream etc... and most cheeses... at least all the interesting ones!

I've never been a fan of processed food, and having been vegetarian for so long it's not that difficult to eat healthily if I stay focused on it and don't get lazy... which is where I usually fall down.  It's going fairly well so far... 2 weeks in and I am not bored with it and haven't given up...... I have no idea if it's making a difference only time will tell.

Which brings us to another reason for me cursing a lot about the snow.... I have to get to work tomorrow I've a dozen chocolate cup cakes with vanilla frosting on the side in the kitchen for a colleague's birthday... and if I don't go to work temptation may get the better of me!

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully you got to and from work today without incident! How much snow did you end up getting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get to work and back - though they sent me home early.... which was stupid cos we had all of about 2cm of snow... but this morning we have about 8 cm....

      Delete