Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Proper poorly.......

As any of you who have been reading this blog for a while will know (a) I don't do being ill and (b) I am prone to occasionally doing things that are just a tad stupid......which brings me to the cautionary tale that has left me off work for a week one very strong antibiotics with the threat of hospital ....

So, we shall go back to last Friday night when, tired after the less than exciting working week had ended I caught my sock yet again on the hang nail on my second toe.... "sod this" says I, possibly even out loud to the cat who was leaping up and down on the bed next to me demanding (not sure what it was demanding, but it's a cat demanding is one of their set emotions)... and proceeded to pull the hang nail.... it bled a little, so I cleaned it up, whapped some antiseptic cream on it and carried on.....

Roll forwards to around 11 pm that night, as I got colder and colder, two duvets and two naked cats could not stop me shivering, literally teeth chattering till my jaw hurt shivering.  By 2 am I was downstairs on the sofa in front of a fan on high speed trying to cool myself back down again trying to workout what the hell was going on.  I lost most of Saturday in the same sequence of hot and cold... which I tried to combat with 4 hourly paracetamol to break the fever.... whilst sleeping on and off all day.

Come Sunday I was feeling marginally better but the temperature still kept swinging and I noticed my foot had started to swell...... okay thinks I sticking more antiseptic on my toe... must be infected .. happens to hangnails I pull on my finger nails....no problem..... yeah right.....

Sunday night, still feeling pretty naff I realise my foot is now warm to touch and the swelling and slight reddish tinge is creeping up my leg...... okay, I give in, doctors on Monday it was....... only there wasn't an appointment till 3.20 pm........

Bless him, my doctor took one look at my leg, took my temperature, looked at me and said "why are you still standing, never mind driving or able to function reasonably?"  To which I had no real answer save than because that is what I do.....  Apparently my temperature was somewhere just over 103 and I have cellulitis up my leg.... yup all from pulling a stupid nagging little hangnail....

My doctor started muttering about how I should go to hospital for an IV antibiotic drip... to which I protested on the grounds that there was no one to look after rent a mob and the naked ones (not that I called them that in the surgery or he'd probably have decided that yes, the temperature had indeed fried my brain)... so after a bit of bartering he agreed I could have the strongest antibiotics they are allowed to prescribed for a week on the condition I come back Wednesday to see the nurse and Friday to see him.... I've also been told (not asked, told) that if it's not any better on Friday I can look forward to a weekend in hospital whether I like it or not!

So, 2 doses into my medication, the temperature appears to be marginally under control though my body feels like a battlefield the morning after the battle.... the infection doesn't appear to be spreading any further up my leg..... but I am being a good girl and staying off it (it's a good job my sofa is comfortable!) drinking lots of fluids and wishing I'd trained the critters better to wait upon me in times of need!

Never ever again will I just pull a hang nail because it's annoying me..........

3 comments:

  1. Ack!! How are you doing?! Is it still improving?!

    I ended up in the hospital for two nights for an infected zit on my face once, so I can completely relate to silly things that just should not land one in the hospital doing so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be ... though I have now broken out in blisters all up my calf... I am told this is the antibiotics working so I am choosing not to worry and trying desperately not to break them!

      Delete