Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Therapeutic baking for relief from idiots.........

I think everyone probably has coping strategies to deal with when they need to calm down......... I resort to two .... serious knitting that I have to concentrate on to the extent where I must block out everything else or I go very wrong (for this I have a nice lace weight shawl I've been knitting forever)........ or baking........ 

Tonight there has been baking..... I was meant to be baking a cake for a colleague's 30th birthday anyway...... but I was pissed off so I might have got carried away so rather than a nice simple cake colleague now has a triple layer chocolate cake with vanilla butter cream and giant buttons....=>

I do usually default to cakes when I need to calm down (or cookies, or flapjack...)... but by the time it's made I am (a) calm and (b) not wanting to eat any of the sweet cakey goodness but seriously jonesing for something with lots of garlic and chilli.

Anyway, the reason for today's excessive baking was caused by a relatively new colleague who came to work with a streaming cold and then got huffy because they were told to stay far far away from my part of the office...... apparently "it's only a cold" and I was "being stupid".........

Now I don't usually go into tonnes of detail with anyone I am not close friends with about the fact that my immune system is compromised and what might be "only a cold" to them could end up with me being seriously ill but I'm afraid I let rip after being calmly informed that their cold apparently was terrible, they were really poorly but that even if I got it then it wouldn't be any worse for me than it would for them ....... they got rather more than they bargained for ...... a description of what it's like when your body basically decides to reject itself, your immune system goes on overdrive and starts attacking you and what life is like when you have to take antibiotics on long term basis...........they even a glimpse of the horrible lower leg where the lymphatic system doesn't work anymore (which is usually covered up with a floor length skirt)..... despite all this they didn't get it at all....... and eventually wondered off muttering about how over dramatic I was being.......  My team leader told me after she thought I'd been remarkably restrained and would be sending an e-mail to the colleague's team leader asking him to "have words".......... 

I hate being different to look at.  I hate that my body doesn't work properly.  I hate that I don't get to have a day without some form of pain or another.  I hate having to explain about these things to idiots who don't even try to understand.  Gah... stupid people...... I may go bake some more.......

No comments:

Post a Comment