Wednesday, 21 November 2012

(un) Happy Feet....

Today has not been a good day for my poor feet!

Feet are important, I know this, they take the weight of most of a person's everyday stresses and strains, they are used for walking, driving, swimming, standing up after sitting down... they help you balance and it's a good thing to look after them really well..... as I learnt in the summer from the toe nail incident that landed me on the sofa for two weeks and has resulted in the lymph glands in my lower left leg packing up....

I have not always been good to my feet...... mainly because I hate and detest having to wear shoes and socks.... I am learning to be nicer to them as my McMillan Nurse was quite stroppy about the fact that I need to keep something on them pretty much all the time to protect them...... I sulk a bit sometimes about it but in general I try to do as I am told on this one (fear of landing back on the sofa for two weeks.... grief that was boring)
Obviously so not my feet!! 

Anyway, I digress.... today.... it was wet and miserable this morning and in the walk from the car park to the office I knew I was going to get wet .... what I hadn't realised was that my right shoe had a hole in the bottom of it and a small crack near the heel...... I did realise after I'd splashed through a puddle or two and squelched a few steps further as my foot began to feel cold and soggy..... I divested myself of said shoe and the accompanying sock when I got to my desk but alas it did not dry out before I had to put it back on.... consequently my right foot was very wrinkled and prune like.

I was looking forward to having a nice foot pampering session this evening with some lovely citrus and rock salt bath goodies that I'd been sent ..... however, as I'd run out of cat biscuits, and three chicken wings will not feed four dogs, I stopped at the shops on the way home in order to prevent a mutiny by the critters.... by the time I'd got everything I needed I was flinging three carrier bags into the car, in the dark car park, and sliding into the drivers seat.  As I dropped the bags onto the passenger seat and pulled the door shut behind me I kind of forgot to pull my right foot all the way into the car........ and slammed the door straight across my foot just below my toes!

After sitting in the car park with my eyes watering and my foot throbbing for about five minutes I tentatively tried it on the accelerator and brake before deciding that it was probably okay to drive home..... yeah, that was painful, and possibly in hindsight not more of my more brilliant ideas.

I half hopped and half hobbled my way into the house and pacified the critters with food before daring to remove my shoe.... the bruising was already starting to come up across the top of my foot, and after carrying out several strange contortionist type moves I could see that it was a bit bruised on the bottom as well.  There is some swelling but not a huge amount.  I thought about going to A&E and getting it x-rayed but as I can move all my toes and it isn't agony to touch on top or to stand and put weight on it I am pretty sure it's just bad bruising......I ice packed it for a while and have now strapped it up nice and tightly, taken some pain killers (though I am sure the approved method of this is not to swallow them by swigging cough medicine out the bottle) and am now sitting here with my foot up on the cat's toy box whilst I question why is it that these things just seem to happen to me??

No comments:

Post a Comment