Saturday, 27 October 2012

It's that time of the year......

When if I shut my eyes after about 8 pm it actually does sound like I am living in the middle of war zone.... I hasten to add that I'm not, I am still residing in my usual place of abode.... it's just the fly by night cheap firework shops that sell to everyone and anyone have opened again and have sold their wares to all and sundry....... who then persist in just letting them off where they feel....

It used to be that we only got fireworks on Guy Fawkes night (5th November), but after the millennium it appears that any festival or holiday is a reason to set them off.  Today we appear to have fireworks for Eid al-Adha (well, officially it was yesterday) as well as the usual hooligan element who like to just let fireworks off in the street.... before Christmas we will also have fireworks for Diwali (5 days starting 13th November) and then it all goes mad again at New Year..... I have to admit, as much as I love living in a large multi-cultural city (and in a part of it that is very nicely mixed) I could do without the fireworks at every celebration...... at grove meetings for Beltane and Samhain there are large bonfires, but not fireworks.

Ooooh, that was a close one, my windows rattled....

Luckily none of the hell critters that reside in my house (or possibly own me) could give a stuff about fireworks.... the dogs like to go out in the run and watch.... well, when they aren't sleeping through it.....Though Gretchen does sometimes like to bark back at the louder bangs in a territorial kind of way.....  The cats will watch from the window, though at present it's so cold here (really must sort out getting the boiler fixed) that they have taken up permanent residence in my duvet (yep, inside the cover, who says you need opposable thumbs to get the press-studs undone?)

I think I shall go lie down and watch the fireworks out the window.... I am still rather tired from yesterday... the arrangements at the place we were having our training were useless and had just put out coffee which I was tempted to drink but didn't... as a result I ended up with one glass of water to drink all day and then got stuck in traffic on the way home (90 minutes in a queue outside Glossop... not fun)...by the time I got home (after a really fun run down Snake Pass in the dark.... I love my car, it might have taken a while to climb to the top ... and annoyed the drivers behind me...  but knowing the road when I got to the top I could leave them all in the dust and sail down..... nope didn't break the speed limit once... I am a good girl after all *grin*)... I was shattered and had a stinking headache thanks to being a gnats dehydrated... It's taken most of today to get rid of the headache and re-float myself (though I am not actually a boat...)

No comments:

Post a Comment