Blessed Samhain (or happy Halloween).... early post tonight before I go light candles in the windows to keep away the spirits. If you are going out trick or treating, stay safe.
So, to the book list...
1. Outcast Mine – Jamie Craig
2. Dirty Kiss – Rhys Ford (r)
3. Dirty Secret – Rhys Ford
4. My Relegence Rake – J.L. Langley.... I’d been caught up in the hype on this one, given that I also really like the first two in the series, but this just didn’t live up to it possibly because as readers we already knew of both the MC’s (though it was nice to see minor characters from the previous books getting more page room) It felt more like a fill in arc to get from the first two books to the next two...
5. Magic Mansion – Jordan Castillo Price – October challenge book – I have been recommended this author on numerous occasions but just not got round to it.. This book wouldn’t have been my first choice as I don’t do reality TV or in fact stage magicians.... but the writing was superb and I really enjoyed it
6. Gilliflowers – Gillibran Brown – ah Gilli, I have such a soft spot for these books... I am really hoping he continues to turn his diaries into books, despite the fact his website says that he probably won’t.
7. Salad on the Side – Karenna Colcroft
8. Out of the Woods – Syd McKinley
9. Twice-Caught – Syd McKinley – This duo of fantasy books were well written and fun, but the world building could have done with a lot more work, luckily the main characters personalities carry the story really well.
10. Home Work – Kaje Harper
11. SUBlime (collected shorts) – Rachel Haimowitz – I am not a fan of short stories but breaking it down and showing individual scenes did work better for me
12. Lost & Found – Syd McKinley
13. Rock Stars & Size Queens – Sean Michael - meh, I really don’t enjoy the Velvet Glove series, I do not know why I buy and read them because I could basically read the blurb and tell the predicable story in my head...
14. Your biggest FAN – Missy Welsh
15. Duck! – Kim Dare (r)
16. Magpie – Kim Dare
17. Concubine – Jill Knowles
18. The Druid Stone – Heidi Belleau
19. Galway Bound – Heidi Belleau
20. Wee Free Men – Terry Pratchett (r)
21. Hat full of Sky – Terry Pratchett (r)
22. Wintersmith – Terry Pratchett (r)
23. I shall wear midnight – Terry Pratchett (r) – comfort reading!
24. The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Creatures – Amy Lane
25. Super Sock Man – Amy Lane
26. How to Raise an Honest Rabbit – Amy Lane - I bought all three of these in one go and read them one after another, very sweet yet amusing stories.... and free knitting patterns too – a friend of mine is getting married soon and I am knitting him the willy warmer from the back of the first book to throw when his wife throws her garter.... I’ll probably knit the gloves from the third book too... but the socks alas have cables, and I have a morbid fear of cables....
27. Peter and the Wolf – Fabian Black – this is a “scene” from a story, not a book!
28. Conduct Unbecoming – L.A. Witt
29. Andy Squared – Jennifer Lavoie – (YA – Goodreads GLBT group read).... Fairly light coming out story. Spoilt for me by the fact that the actions of the female twin (Andrea) were in my mind over the top, she was a bully from the start, outed her own twin brother, forged his college application, was supremely controlling of her family and friends, yet was forgiven in the blink of an eye... my view, but if an author gives their characters qualities like these they should really have to work for redemption.
30. One small thing – M.J. O’Shea & Piper Vaughan (r)
31. One true thing – M.J. O’Shea & Piper Vaughan – I was disappointed with this. I can do “insta-love” stories if they are sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal, but I really struggle in a contemporary. Although this was Dusty’s story he kind of got swallowed by the twins and the debt issues (and just how did Asher get past the credit check for his lease? And why didn’t he notice the letters coming to the shared house in his name not his brothers?) the happy family resolution with his sister just seemed thrown in at the end as in “ta da!” happy ending!
32. Chase in Shadow – Amy Lane.... see continuing my quest to understand angst... really liked the story, and am coming to the conclusion angst is just putting your characters through the wringer emotionally and physically as frequently as you can to get to the happy ending ....
Ok, so it looks like I average about 30 books a month from the stats this year so far! Thank goodness for Dreamspinner and their October give away as I am going on a book buying diet for the next month to save some pennies for festive presents....

You must go read the PsyCop series by Jordan Castillo Price!! It's probably my favorite all-time m/m series. :)
ReplyDeleteCute picture - if it was May, she'd manage to look more hard done by, I expect...
I know I should read them... but I have erm 93 books on my kindle waiting to be read (I blame the dreamspinners give away... okay, so that only accounts for some)... I daren't buy anymore books till I've got through at least a few of those waiting!
DeleteIf i dressed my cats up it would last 5 seconds before destruction took place!