Tuesday, 11 September 2012

A sudden craving....

Having been vegetarian for over half my life I have learnt that sometimes I really have to listen to what my body is telling me when it suddenly demands certain foods.... I think I learnt this the hard way when after 2 years of being vegan I ended up with a serious vitamin deficiency that landed me in hospital being treated for severe anaemia....never again will I go down that route....

Whilst I am not brilliant at the whole healthy balanced meals things.... I am crap at breakfasts - which unless I'm bullied happen at about 10.30 am and involve a pot of yoghurt.... and when I am just cooking for me I tend to be quite lazy ... added to which I have a love of dairy products, from cheese to ice cream....Though I am pretty good generally at the whole moderation thing....

Anyway, my body's usual demands are for pretty normal things.... marmite... which thankfully I love ... when it needs salt.... or raw peppers and bananas when it wants potassium.....  Okay so it also demands roast chicken on a regular basis but that is a hormonal thing and easily cured by a packet of roast chicken crisps (though I do curse the rotisserie chicken counters they have in supermarkets these days)... and four months on it still demands caffeine at regular intervals but I am ignoring that....

So, imagine my surprise when I am just about to stop work and have lunch this afternoon my body suddenly tells me that it really really wants a bacon sandwich.... on white bread... with brown sauce..... Now here's the thing... I hate brown sauce and as for bacon *shudder* even the smell of it cooking makes me nauseous.... even when I did eat meat I never liked bacon.....but for five minutes today I looked at my pita bread with hummus and salad and all I wanted was this blinking bacon sandwich......  

Now one of my closest friends, and the full mother to my half daughter, is pregnant again and we've always joked that we have some sort of weird psychic connection.... so as a joke I texted her and asked her if she could tell the alien duck she's carrying (alien cos it's growing in her stomach, duck because her 3 year old declared that this is what the scan picture was of) to quit craving things that I really didn't like..... the text I got back about an hour later made it all a bit surreal, because for the first time in weeks, at around the time I suddenly was craving this damn sandwich, she was sitting down to exactly that for her lunch...... I am not sure exactly how half motherhood works... but it looks like I may have a connection to the latest spawn already :)

1 comment: