Wednesday, 9 October 2013

They'd be skeletons in the closet in any other family.....

Wednesday nights, after my (currently) weekly talk about myself session with my counsellor I head off to my mum's for dinner.... which is always fun.

Tonight we have been reminiscing ..... mainly bought about by the fact that Dad's partner had mentioned that there were a couple of locked files on his computer that she can't get into and my mum had suggested, quite tactfully, that perhaps it would be better if she just deleted them rather than trying to get into the files.

We pondered and speculated on what they might be and came up with two conclusions - one was probably porn and the other was possibly conversations he was having with other women, or as mum added quite casually other men.....

Now, here's the thing, I knew that in the past my mum had had flings with other women - she happily told my sister and I when we were quite young about how she was curious so went to a gay club in London in the 60's and went home with women to see what it was like.  Tonight she was telling me of a couple of short relationships she'd had with women before she met and married dad.

She's decided that these days she'd have said she was bi, we did talk about what being bi curious was, but she said it was obviously more than curiosity given that it wasn't a one off to satisfy a curiosity.  She did suggest that perhaps she might mention that she'd decided she was bi to the ladies at the gym just to see their reaction....

Apparently she wasn't the only one who was curious.... although dad left mum for another woman, after they split up for a while dad was on his own and it wasn't something he was good at (he was a serial monogamist and normally had the next partner lined up before he left the previous one, or they left him).... so, with mum's support and blessing, he did his own experimenting with men he met at the university he was studying at at the time.

I can't say I am overly surprised by this given my parents easy acceptance not only of me being gay but of their other gay friends and the number of people, particularly in mum's case, who have chosen to come out to them rather than their own parents or the way we were brought up for it to not be an issue.

However, we think his partner (I should say widow - but again with the whole, no sorry, can't do it) would be pretty horrified - she is terribly straight laced about this sort of thing.  I have to say, to satisfy my own curiosity if she doesn't delete the files on the computer I wouldn't mind having a crack at working out the password just to see what he was hiding .... mum was quite interested when I mentioned that it wouldn't be the first porn I'd seen on the computer if that was what it was - I just hope she's not going to try looking at porn on her computer....

No comments:

Post a Comment