So, having failed at the last two attempts, what on earth am I thinking about trying to take part in NaNoWriMo again this year.
Well, a couple of reasons really. Firstly, I am not in the same position I was the last time I tried - because yes, in the end, trying to do NaNo when my finals were in the middle of November was really a non starter last year. Whilst I can't guarantee what happened the first year I tried - where I was allocated two historic child abuse matters to work on as part of my day job and couldn't fictionalise anything to do with abuse whilst I was dealing with that - won't happen again, I can minimise the chances by not writing anything remotely involving abuse.
The other big reason for trying again is down to the fact that my dad always believed in me and supported me when it came to writing. He read a lot of my scribblings in their very early stages and would do things like send me landscape photos for inspiration .... taking photos was one of his many hobbies and one we shared. Even when he was on oxygen and unable to walk very far we would drive out into Derbyshire to find inspiring views, unusual trees, deer in the mist - my GR avatar and background to my Twitter profile is a photo he took of one of our favourite places.
As of last night I had a shortlist of five potential stories I've been playing with for a while.... and this afternoon I think I've decided what I am going to write.
I have another couple of weeks to plot and find some more inspiration for my characters .... I already have an opening scene in my mind which is always a good thing.
Who know, maybe this year I can do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment