Saturday, 29 December 2012

A "relaxing day" as only I can have.....

After only two days back at work I was so tired last night that I fell asleep on the sofa at about 6.30 for a couple of hours.... then spent half the night awake, thinking very random thoughts, unable to get back to sleep.  I eventually gave up and got up at about 4 am, let the dogs out and then dozed with them on the sofa till about 9 am.....

It's been raining pretty solidly the last 3 days and I was feeling very creaky so phoned mum and told her I wasn't going to be coming to visit as I wanted a nice quiet relaxing day at home........ or at least that was what I was hoping for...

It started well, I did some reading, pottered round the kitchen, put away the supermarket delivery and then about 3 pm wandered through to the lounge.  Fire on and NCIS marathon, book if needed, yep I was all set.... well for about 90 minutes till the dogs wanted their dinner.

I put them in the kitchen, threw wings at them and then shut the door on them to go up and see to the dietary requirements of the felines.... nipped on the net for 10 minutes and then went back downstairs.... let the dogs back out the kitchen and herded them towards the lounge.... where Hugo flew over the baby gate towards us and landed right in the middle of the dogs!

Cue bedlam....... Now I know that Ivan will attack and possibly kill if he catches a cat, so he was my main concern... I managed to scruff him and stuff him back into the kitchen.... only Hugo went through too and ran a circuit or two around the work tops, table and cooker before landing on the floor amidst the dogs again ... they chased him out and at one point had him cornered in the hall.  Again I extracted Ivan and got him back in the kitchen, by which time the girls were all running around frantically in the hallway, leaping up and down and generally being very excitable.... but no sign of Hugo, so I assumed he'd gotten away over the baby gate and back upstairs........ wrong!

I let Ivan out, only to have him leap onto the night crates they sleep in which are under the stairs.... he then got behind the storage boxes that have their towels and spare bedding in.... at which point I realised Hugo was in fact wedged at the back of the crates...... extraction process commenced again, with the girls herded into the lounge behind one gate, Ivan unceremoniously scruffed and dropped over the kitchen baby gate, and then Hugo safely gathered in from where he was wedged......... one quick once over of a furious and extremely stressed cat revealed no serious injuries, but he then proceeded to pee all over me....I have some minor scratches to my hands caused as he flung himself over the bannister to rush upstairs.......

The dogs went to their crates for an hour whilst I calmed down.......

I've since checked everyone over and the damage is as follows:

Ivan - limping on both front legs where he's got cat bites across the lowest joint on one side and a small hole in his pad on the other
Gretchen - small claw mark by her right eye
Kammi - ripped ear (sheesh they don't half bleed)
Hope - nothing at all except a confused look (she actually gets on with the cats and plays with them)

I have cleaned wounds, applied antiseptic and arnica (and thrown antibiotics into Ivan)..... there has been no sympathy or bed time biscuits though.

As for Hugo.... aside from needing a bath quite desperately he's a couple of scratches that have taken some pigment off but nothing that has broken the skin....... he's still a bit skittish but is currently curled up on my hip occasionally purring, so I am guessing he's getting over it.

So much for a nice quiet relaxing day........

1 comment:

  1. Ack!!! I'm glad it wasn't worse... But I can definitely relate to that sort of craziness. Alas.

    ReplyDelete