Sunday, 29 June 2014

Blogging silence.... aka I has the lurgy....

Yep... that is the reason... I, the worlds worst patient who doesn't do getting colds, has the lurgy....

It started at the beginning of last week, well no, it probably started before that as I was sneezing like made but I put it down to hay fever, upped the antihistamines and carried out..... On Monday I had a tickle at the back of my throat.... by Tuesday, I was coughing and sneezing.... when anyone phoned me at work and asked how I was, I said I was fine, and my team leader's voice would come over the top of the partition between our desks with the single word..."Liar!"

I felt a bit washed out when I got home on Tuesday evening..... and didn't sleep well.... mainly because of the whole thing that goes ... you can lie down and sleep but not breathe, or you can sit up and breathe but not sleep... yeah, not fun.  So Wednesday rolls around and I get up, make it as far as the kitchen to let the dogs out, go dizzy and have to sit down.... for the firs time in over 18 months I phoned in sick to work.... but no, I planned to be better by the next day .... I wasn't.... by then I was wheezing impressively to add to the rest of the cold symptoms... I took paracetamol, drank lots of herbal tea, willed myself to get better.

On Friday I headed to the pharmacy for cold cures - now here's the thing... because I take pain relief meds for my arthritis on a regular basis, I can't also take over the counter cold cures as they all contain paracetamol which would put me over the limit if mixed with my pain meds... well the pharmacist took one look at me and told me to get myself to the doctor as she thought I might have a chest infection.

So off I pottled.... like a good girl.... which is a complete lie when it comes to going to the doctors because I really don't like them... luckily I got to see the nurse practitioner straight away and yes, I have a chest infection.... I then had prescriptions for antibiotics, more painkillers, and cough medicine.... apparently I had an impressive temperature, which I hadn't even registered......

This weekend has not been fun... in between sniffling and wheezing the meds have started to clear my lungs.... which is not a pleasant experience.  I haven't actually had a cold for the last 8 years.... not one that was more serious than a 24 hour thing, probably because I am normally extremely careful to avoid them because of my buggered up immune system.... so this has kind of hit me like a ten tonne truck......

I tried to write today - yeah that was a mistake.... I couldn't get to grips with my characters at all, they just felt flat and distant....... after whining to my beta readers they pointed out that this was probably because I was in fact feeling flat and had a head full of cotton wool....

So tomorrow, yeah, I am going to try and go to work... I don't think work itself will be a problem... getting to the office from the car park may exhaust me completely though  so we shall see........ in the meantime, what is left of my lungs is going to spend a couple of hours before bed time curled upon the sofa indulging in some very necessary comfort reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment