There are some conversations that start quite innocently and then veer off into the territory of "no, stop, now, really, no".... today involved one such conversation, which was also quite amusing.
Imagine the scene, I have gone round to my mother's house this morning for coffee (and to use her washing machine because, hey you know, I'm her daughter... what do you mean perhaps I should get my own machine fixed... it's only been, erm, a couple of years...)
Anyway, so there we are and the conversation goes something like this...
Mum: "Did you finish your story you were writing,"
Me: "Yes, all done and gone to my readers for proofing before I edit,"
Mum: "So where's my copy, have you e-mailed it to me?"
Me: "Er, no, well, I don't think you'd like it."
Mum: "Don't be silly, of course I'll like it, it's historical after all, you borrowed those books from me."
Me: "Well, yes, it's historical, but well it's an alternative piece."
Mum: "Alternative?"
Me: "Yes, it's got two heroes rather than the conventional hero and heroine couple"
Mum: "Yes, and why should that make a difference?"
Me: "Well it doesn't really, but it's not just a historical piece, it's, kind of a romance."
Mum: "So why won't you read it?"
Me: "It's not a young adult romance, it's an adult one."
Mum: "I'm 73, I think that counts as adult."
Me: (giving up in exasperation) "Fine, read it............but don't ask questions about how I can write about men giving other men blow jobs, and for goodness sake don't start asking random gay friends if it's accurate."
Things went silent for a bit after that
Then she asked
"but you're a Lesbian, how do you know about anything about giving men blow jobs never mind men giving other men blow jobs.........."
And luckily the washing machine finished and I am a coward so I ran away.......
LOL! Is she going to let the subject drop so easily??
ReplyDeletelol that's my life in a nutshell!
ReplyDelete