Thursday, 1 January 2015

2014 Reading Statistics and favourites

A house made of books.... I could live there...
As last year the majority of the books read are M/M, but some more general crime and historical fiction.  There were also a small handful of F/F books.

Not counted in any of the statistics are the books read for research which this year included topics such as - Paris during the Enlightenment, Medieval England, WWII in Derbyshire, Women at War, Wolf Society and behaviour...

So...

Total books read (excluding short stories from the DRiTC event) - 217

Number of re-reads - 29

Total number of books read as per Goodreads (includes DRiTC event stories and other short stories but excludes re-reads) - 344


And now to favourites... and this is tricky... I've limited this to M/M books, not re-reads, and tried to stick to my top 5 (I may have cheated and picked a series or two).  All of these are from the 33 books I added to my favourites shelf on Goodreads this year (all of which have a rating of 4.5 (rounded up) or 5 stars.
 
Mahu Series by Neil Plakcy - I read books 2 to 5 in this series this year. Though not a traditional M/M romance - much more a gay mystery/crime story the stories show the continued growth of Kimo, the homicide detective as he comes to terms with being an out gay man in a difficult job.  I hope to read the rest of the series as soon as I can

The General and the Horse Lord by Sarah Black - I had this book and it's sequel on my Kindle for a while before I read it, but i am really glad that I got round to it.  It's very much a story of family and a lasting relationship against the odds and one I will definitely re-read

Red Heart Dirt Series by N.R. Walker - This is just a lovely series set in the Australian outback.

The Boy with the Painful Tattoo by Josh Lanyon - This was so worth the wait for the third installment of Kit and JX's story.  Seeing them now together, settling into their new home, with all the usual mayhem that Kit can provide was just wonderful.  Josh Lanyon really does continue to set a benchmark when it comes to cosy mysteries with an M/M twist.

When all the World Sleeps - Lisa Henry& J.A. Rock - this was a dark story with some very complex characters facing difficult situations.  The authors didn't take the easy route they could easily have done to give the MC's their happy ending, they really made them work for it which made for a tension filled story.


Special mentions have to go to Kaje Harper - for both Unjustified Claims - the third in the HIdden Wolves series (which continues to be one of my favourite shifter series) and for The Family We Make.  Jordan L. Hawke for the continuations in the Widdershins series which melds historical with paranormal and some real creepiness. The Morning Star series by M. Chandler - action adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously.  Bread, Salt & Wine by Dev Bentham, which is the final book in Tarnished Soul series  and finally probably the best YA GLBT book I read this year which was Under the Stars by Geoff Laughton.

Here's to lots more good books in 2015

1 comment:

  1. I would totally count research reading and short stories. :D Looks like you had a respectable reading year!

    ReplyDelete