August has flown by very quickly - but thanks to a week off at the beginning of the month I've managed to do a fair bit of reading.
My favourites this month are the final books in Megan Derr's Dance with the Devil series - I've really enjoyed the setting of this series and although some characters just flit in and out rather than all the books having the same MC's it doesn't matter for this one as it's the world building that gives the stories the feel of the thing. My other favourites are two very different books, Caught! by J.L. Merrow which is so traditionally English and with a very British humour to it and Kaje Harper's The Family we Make - which is not so much a romance, but a family drama.
I have also this month DNF'd my very first book - I usually read everything even if I am annoyed by it, or it's not engaging me, but this I couldn't. There was just so much wrong with it I was in danger of throwing the Kindle across the room. I started making notes as I was reading and by 28% I had 5 pages of notes that were factually incorrect, impossible for the time or just wholly unrealistic for the setting...... Now I know for most people that read the book they won't even notice these things, but it was a book set in a 1920's English boys boarding school - and given that school stories of that era are something I've been collecting for over 20 years it's something i couldn't look past.
anyway - the list.....
1. Camwolf – J.L. Merrow (r)
2. Gilliflowers - Gillibran Brown (r)
3. In Despair (Princes of the Blood) – Megan Derr
4. The Slave Catcher – Lilia Ford
5. Ruffskin – Megan Derr
6. Sword of the King – Megan Derr
7. Dance only for Me – Megan Derr
8. Relief Valve – J.L. Merrow
9. Wrestling with Demons – Xavier Mayne
10. Making Repairs – Sean Michael
11. Hungry for Love – Rick Reed
12. Yakuza Courage – H.J. Brues
13. One Good Deed – Andrew Grey
14. Control - Mary Calmes/Cardeno C.
15. Holbrook Academy – Dean Ocean
16. Altered Heart – Kate Steele (r)
17. Caught! – J.L. Merrow
18. Stuff – Josephine Myles
19. The Pagan Lord – Bernard Cornwell (non M/M)
20. Murder on the Mountain – Jamie Fessenden
21. The Family We Make – Kaje Harper
1. Camwolf – J.L. Merrow (r)
2. Gilliflowers - Gillibran Brown (r)
3. In Despair (Princes of the Blood) – Megan Derr
4. The Slave Catcher – Lilia Ford
5. Ruffskin – Megan Derr
6. Sword of the King – Megan Derr
7. Dance only for Me – Megan Derr
8. Relief Valve – J.L. Merrow
9. Wrestling with Demons – Xavier Mayne
10. Making Repairs – Sean Michael
11. Hungry for Love – Rick Reed
12. Yakuza Courage – H.J. Brues
13. One Good Deed – Andrew Grey
14. Control - Mary Calmes/Cardeno C.
15. Holbrook Academy – Dean Ocean
16. Altered Heart – Kate Steele (r)
17. Caught! – J.L. Merrow
18. Stuff – Josephine Myles
19. The Pagan Lord – Bernard Cornwell (non M/M)
20. Murder on the Mountain – Jamie Fessenden
21. The Family We Make – Kaje Harper
And so to next month - I've a Kindle full of books and although the Don't Read in the Closet releases are winding down (yes I've the date for my 2nd story to be released) I still have a fair few of these to read as well. Maybe next month I'll list my favourite 10 stories......
Happy September reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment