Monday, 4 August 2014

Electric pulse treatment & me.... is this wise??

Is this going to happen?
Last week I went off to see my MacMillan nurse  - just before anyone panics, though MacMillan nurses are
best known for the work they do with people who have cancer and in supporting their family - I don't have cancer, I do have a lymphatic disease which commonly effects people who are going through treatment for cancer though ... which means that I have been assigned a MacMillan nurse to help control and treat it because they are the people best placed to do so.

Anyway, my appointment was to be measured for a new bondage stocking as wearing them makes the lymph fluid drain off in my leg so the size changes, and also the elasticity and pressure changes after about 6 months of use.  Anyway when I was there she suggested I try a circulation booster.... which I thought was probably a medication/supplement type thing (to go with the gazillion other tablets I take to try help my immune system to actually work) but no, it's not, it's a machine you pop your feet on, stick electrodes up your calf (like a TENS machine) and then switch on and give yourself little electric shocks... sorry, it emits electronic pulses which encourages blood and hopefully lymph flow......

Well, I said yes because frankly any new treatment to try, whether it works or not, I am willing to have a go at - because some days it feels like the only alternative that might work is me taking a carving knife to my left leg and removing it below the knee..... so I was mentioning it to some friends and family... and they pointed out something I'd overlooked..... given my abilities to blow things electrical up and give myself electric shocks, explode things and fuse the house.... was this really a good idea?  I decided, after careful consideration, that yes, it was...

I have been warned that it might feel a little uncomfortable and possibly be a little painful, but I am kind of excited about trying this out.... which probably makes me sound a little weird...

My new machine arrives tomorrow... and I have been made to promise that I won't try it for the first time when in the house alone.... you know.... just in case...


I also have visions of one of the dogs standing on it and all their hair standing on end.... which will look very funny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment