I have been lost in the 12 century or there about for the last few days whilst I find my way into my characters heads.
The topics for research have included....
Gay relationships in the medieval period - including looking at source material for same sex relationships in the nobility and church - some of which were formalised in "spiritual brotherhoods" and sometimes known as "affrerements"- which were blessed in church with a ceremony very similar to marriage. It wasn't until about a century after my story is set that the church got really into their "sex is only for procreation" thing and began the long road of criminalising homosexuality - or sodomy as it was referred to then. Finding this has given me quite a bit more scope for the relationships my MC has before he finally gets together with his other half.
There has been a lot of looking at pictures of appropriate everyday clothing for the average outlaw... with consideration to ease of access.... fastenings and undergarments...... which then bought about the question of lube .... I think the best we can do for that is going to be goose grease or lamb fat.....which for this vegetarian is just hard to get my head round...
I have scouted out locations and looked at reasonable distances for the traveller on foot and horseback........ luckily I get to set this one in England and what's more I can make it fairly local to me. I've changed some names for main settings, but a lot are based on real places that still exist today....I am planning a drive about next weekend to see if i can get some photos and more inspiration.
And then there's the weaponry. Now I am familiar with the long bow and can waffle on happily about drawweights, arrow length, fletchings, trajectory... and how best to avoid giving yourself massive bruising on the inside of your arm and worse still your bust (yep... chest guards are a must for those with reasonable size busts - not something that our MC would have a problem with).... but my MC has a sword... and after spending a rather long time looking about on line and watching sword fights on YouTube I've decided that it is a long sword, rather than a broad sword, and what's more .... I want one!
No seriously, I really want a long sword........... I mentioned this to a friend......... who pointed out that I'd probably only go and fall over and stab myself... or worse... she suggests I stick to mock battles with stalks of rhubarb.... some people are no fun :)
No comments:
Post a Comment