Thursday, 28 November 2013

Again with the powers of destruction........

Last week, on Wednesday in fact, I had been happily reading on my Kindle at lunch time, but by the time I had got home it was dead....... not one to believe things straight away I cursed, rebooted, cursed again, checked online help, rebooted again.... but no, half the screen saver remained stubbornly stuck across the reading screen.... so I phoned up the Dead Kindle Helpline to be told, yep, it's dead......... and as it's not under warranty anymore - why yes, I did finally manage to keep one for over a year - I would need a replacement......... So I have gone from a Kindle Keyboard to a Kindle Touch (not brand new, the Zon offer guaranteed refurbished Kindles for cheap when you are phoning to whine a lot about your's dying) ... It arrived on Tuesday and I am slowly getting to grips with it - though I have safely transferred all my books over.......

Then, the same day I get the replacement Kindle, it's the turn of my mobile phone to die.... well not die as such.... but suddenly decided that it can't read the SIM card......... it refuses to recognise that it's even in there.  I did as the mobile provider suggested......... removed the SIM card, wiped it with a clean cloth and put it back... but no... still nothing.....

I was out Tuesday night for sister's partner's birthday meal so last night, I picked up the land line phone to phone the mobile provider (whilst wincing more than slightly at the call charges for doing so from a landline) only to find that lo and behold..... my landline wasn't working.  It appears to be a fault with the handsets or base unit - though I'm not sure why as it was working fine Tuesday night...... so this weekend I shall have to go to the mobile phone shop to get them to find out why the SIM card has stopped working and then to the Evil Cult of the Electrical Devices to purchase a new land line phone.......... Though I fear that me walking into a big shop selling electrical equipment may possibly result in terminal chaos....

I am hoping, as these things come in threes, that that this is it on the breaking technology for a while.... a long while......... but I wouldn't bet on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment