Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Music for Dad...

The draw back about having a date for dad's funeral..... is that now we have to start planning it.... which means sharing memories.  In some way's it's cathartic, but at times it's painful, there has been laughter as well as tears as we look at old photos and remember.

Music was very important to dad - in the short time between leaving school and me being born (I was his 21st birthday present.... well I would have been if I was 8 days later arriving) he ran a mobile disco... he also used to tell us his stories of going to see various bands in London in the late 60's early 70's.  He bought me my first MP3 player and filled it up with tunes he thought I'd like - in return I used to rip cd's for him, particularly in the last few years when music became one of the few things with his limited mobility he could enjoy.

For the funeral we have each picked a piece of music to play (thankfully we talked his partner out of Leonard Cohen as I don't think we could have coped with that)..... below are the 4 songs that will be played.  In addition, for the committal there is a Welsh male voice choir piece.

These songs all have really strong memories and associations with my dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment