![]() |
| How I imagine the inside of my Kindle looks |
fucked. I'd just come out of a horribly controlling relationship - where yes, my ex had taken my bank cards off me and told me, repeatedly, it was for my own good because I couldn't manage my own money.... turns out she was wrong, I haven't so much as been over drawn since I left her.
For a while, I had very little to live off, and books where my luxury. I limited myself to buying one book a month as a treat to myself... and did a lot of re-reading. I also borrowed books, from the library and from my family. As my finances improved, my restraint disappeared and, well frankly, when it comes down to it, I am a book buying whore. Then I got a Kindle, and discovered 1-click.... and now I have 274 books sitting there, waiting to be read... and that still doesn't stop me from buying more - be it the latest release, another book in a series I'd started but not finished, a book a friend read and left a good review of...you get the picture.
I am also a freebie collector.... thanks to independent authors who give away books now and then, and publishers like Dreamspinner who for November gave away 30 books over the month, my Kindle has filled up rather fast. I am anticipating some kindly soul will give me Amazon vouchers for Christmas, which I will use to buy even more books....so I will probably have over 300 books waiting to be read come the new year.
So *deep breath* here is my challenge to myself.
In 2015, I will go back to buying just one book a month.
I will still allow myself to pick up and read freebies, but must not pay for more than one book.
Where a book has been pre-ordered this year, that will have to count for the book for that month (which I think is January, April and May).
My challenge total for 2014 was 350 books, which I should make by the end of the year. I will drop the total to 300 for next year which... with luck... should just about clear my Kindle of books I've already paid for and not read.
Wish me luck!!

No comments:
Post a Comment