Monday, 1 June 2015

May there be books.........

So, May... the start of summer... or in my case the new year... no seriously, the financial year at work ends on 30th April... before that life is, well, hectic is an understatement... add to the the fact that of course I don't have enough stress at work so I needed a writing prompt and story to write in 7 or so weeks...

Which of course means, in May I relax, and do rather more reading than I've managed in recent months.

There was a lot of comfort re-reading as well this month - I needed fluffy... I am all for dark, gritty books, books that make you think, books that frighten... but sometimes sugar is needed

That said, highlight book of the month was the long awaited fourth book in the Deputy Joe series - Requiem in Leather by James Buchanan.  It's been a while since I read the first three books, but just pages in and I am fully immersed back in the story because Joe's voice is so distinctive.  It's really difficult to write in dialect consistently but these books are a masterclass in how to do it. Not just that but the characters four books in are still evolving, and while this story might have been quite light on the mystery side the relationship between Joe and Kabe is changing as this time we learnt more about Kabe.

Other highlights -

Hoarfrost, the 6th Whyborne & Griffin book.  Again, this is a series which gets better - sure I wasn't so keen on Necropolis (which was book 4) but the author keeps the stories fairly fresh by moving the MC's around and expanding on their backstory as well as on their current relationship.

A couple of very good fantasies gave me the escapism I needed - The Courtship of Julian St Albans, though rather on the long side, was a good alternative reality type story - think Regency manners with added magic ... and Burn the Sky by Jaye Mackenna was a very well don full on fantasy with dragon shifters.

I am going to mention Crash & Burn here - the Cut & Run series were amongst the first books I read in M/M - in fact Cut & Run was the first but when I read it the first three books were out already and I made my way through them quickly.  Until Armed & Dangerous I was really enjoying the series, but books 7 and 8 fell a little short for me.  While there were a lot of loose ends to tie up in the final book, and the storyline did get a bit tangled at times, I did enjoy the grand finale for Ty and Zane - though I've a feeling we've not seen the last of them as minor characters which is kind of a nice feeling - like they are happy there in the background.

Okay, so, the list in full.........

1. A Little Bit Country - S.J. Frost (r)
2. Hoarfrost - Jordan L Hawk
3. Truth & Tenderness - Tere Michaels
4. The Courtship of Julian St Albans - Amy Crook
5. Need for Dale - Sean Michael
6. An Intrepid Trip to Love - Charlie Cochet (r)
7. Healing Hunter's Heart - Charlie Cochet
8. Crash & Burn - Abigail Roux
9. Burn the Sky - Jaye McKenna
10. Down & Dirty - Rhys Ford
11. A Tooth for a Fang - Liv Olteano
12. A Thoreau Affair - Hunter Frost
13. Fire & Water - Andrew Grey
14. Mannies Incorporated - Sean Michael
15. A Home of His Own - Sean Michael
16. And Manny makes Seven - Sean Michael
17. Requiem in Leather - James Buchanan
18. Love Lessons - Heidi Cullinan (r)
19. Fever Pitch - Heidi Cullinan (r)
20. Blind Faith - N.R. Walker (r)
21. Through these Eyes - N.R. Walker
22. Blindsided - N.R. Walker
23. Pride & Perilous - Mark McNease
24. The Blinding Light - Renae Kaye (r)
25. The Pack of the Panther - Tara Lain
26. Shawn's Law - Renae Kaye
27. How to Howl at the Moon - Eli Easton

Next month sees the start of the DRiTC postings - so lots of short stories to come.  I will probably do a post on my favourites but I won't list everyone and those under 20k won't be included on my books read this month list.

No comments:

Post a Comment